Sunday 25 December 2011

Merry Xmas and Happy Hanukkah 2011

Assalaamu'alaikum wa rahmatullah


It is Christmas today according to Western calender. As a Muslim, I do not celebrate Christmas like Christian friends. However, I wish Christian friends Merry Christmas. In conjunction to this celebration there is also the memorial festival of Jew friends known as Hanukkah so I wish those who celebrate it Hag Hanukkah Smeah.

Hanukkah is a festival to celebrate the victory of Yahuda bin Mattatai in a rebellion toward colonizers. He ordered candles to be lit up again in the temple of Jerusalem after the profanity made by Antiochus IV Epiphanes inside their house of worship. The Greek king had placed idols and defecated it with pig which is illegal in their religious jurisprudence. It happened during the period of Seleucid empire hold control on the land of Judah.

Half an hour before the mass began

As for Christmas, I suppose that everyone knows about it and that the date is not exactly the date of prophet Jesus a.s birthday. I went to Assumption Catholic Church in Campbell Street to see how Catholics conducting their prayers for Holy Mass during their Christmas celebration. It began at 10 am and went on for about an hour and half with opening prayer, sermon and closing prayer, bread and holy water and hymns. I didn't take the bread and the blessed water anyway. I am not familiar with Roman Catholic rites though I memorized few Arabic Psalters. They had provided prayer books to parishioners. It is useless for me anyway because I don't know which part to refer when the cantor telling parishioners to open up sections but thanks to the uncle who provides me with the new order prayer books. I just mentally recited Quranic verses and dzikrs while the prayers went on in the place of worship.


I saw few Caucasian families perhaps tourists. Some of them seem at lost too so I guess they perhaps are not church goers as compared to local Christians whom are of Chinese, Indian, and Eurasian descents. Locals seem more polite as they bend down before sitting at the pew. A Caucasian who sat at the front pew perhaps is not a Christian but only following his girlfriend. The hymns and prayers followed by music from the music keyboard. I thought they would use the old pipe organ but there was no such thing in the hall. I could see people especially ladies chanting something with rosaries. 


After the mass session finished, they greet each other with the greetings of the festival. I went out after being an audience and just return home because I feel quite tired walking around before reaching the area. I also saw the Old Anglican Church known as Saint George Church is in function with many Caucasian devotees perhaps British and those from Commonwealth countries who happened to be tourists here. I thought that it is just a monument.

Assumption Catholic Church, Campbell Street

I arrived at Sungai Dua around 12:40 and having my lunch there before a junior, Charlie messaged me asking me whether I am free to company him having lunch but Dzuhr prayer service was almost there. I just politely tell him that I just had my meal. I just regret I didn't prepare another cloth because it is not really suitable to enter the Masjid with the cloth worn during others occasion and I could not perform the ghusl. I bought toothbrush and toothpaste at Maju Jaya department store to clean my mouth because we need clean mouth to recite holy verses. Next time I would bring hygiene stuffs with me for ritual purposes.

Before we perform salat service to the God, we need to make sure that we are physically and spiritually clean. After Dzuhr prayer service, I went to see Charlie at Khalil restaurant and having some talk with him before returning to my room. As it is, this is my experience today. I need to rush finishing the thesis, it makes me suffocating. I hate this worldly stuffs :'(  

Allahumma salli 'alaa Muhammad wa 'alaa aali Muhammad... Sealed with prayers for mercy, peace, and love, amin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...