Saturday 21 December 2013

Arabic: Ishtiqāq

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullah


I am trying to structure some of the language lessons that I have in my notebooks. Altogether, I had learned few languages which is not spoken in my country or even the archaic ones such as Pali-Sanskrit while some of them are the spoken languages where I speak in them in my daily life as according to the region where I stay for example Malay, Chinese, Urdu and Thai. I think I would dump my notes here for everyone to get the benefit if the interested viewers stepped into this humble site. Arabic script is not so easy for Roman script keyboard and I am not a good software engineer. This is quite a trouble for me since Arabic is not so developed in transliteration as compared to Sanskrit, hehe...

I know Malay is not a useful language out there but it is useful for those who wanted to study the classical Turat books translated and adapted by the clerics who speak and write in Malay in South East Asian region. Malay was the medium to teach Buddhism around the 7th century AD. It is now the medium to teach Islam and also other basic sciences although not as much popular as English or other languages. Languages are extremely important for students of Shari'a and Usūluddin. No joking... You would not be a good qadhi while your languages are at the level of three years old infant. How are you going to interpret jurisdictions when you are not good in language and linguistic studies? At least we should know the basic of them as a tool for ourselves...

Ishtiqāq literally means etymology or derivation for the Arabic words. Arabic is not so much difficult when we study it from our childhood time. The languages such as English, Persian, Urdu, Spanish or Malay themselves absorbed a large number of Semitic words through Arabic. 

Formula

This system emphasizes on the root word so you also need to know about it as to make it easy for you to check the dictionary. For example the word...

كَتَبَ write

Could also be developed into several other nouns such as...

مكْتَبٌ desk
كْتَابٌ book
مكْتُوبٌ written
كاتِبٌ author
مَكتَبَةٌ library

This is just an example. There are many examples for this. Among scholarly works that we could refer with regard to this topic were of Ibn Qutaybah and Ibn Duraid. Both of them were from Abbasid caliphate. The latter identify himself as a Qahtanite Arab while the previous was known as a Persian descent. I simply hope that the notes at least would help Arabic students. I am sorry no transliteration for the Arabic words. I am lazy, haha... 

Sealed with prayers for mercy, peace and love, amin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...